Capsule endoscopy is a procedure that uses a tiny wireless camera to take pictures of your digestive tract. A capsule endoscopy camera sits inside a vitamin-size capsule you swallow. As the capsule travels through your digestive tract, the camera takes thousands of pictures that are transmitted to a recorder you wear on a belt around your waist.
The camera used in capsule endoscopy takes thousands of color photos as it passes through your digestive tract. The images saved on the recorder are transferred to a computer with special software that strings the images together to create a video. Your doctor watches the video to look for abnormalities within your digestive tract.
What to Expect
Save time and and prepare ahead.
Download and fill out the forms and bring with you.
- You must avoid taking all IRON supplements for 5 days prior to coming in (No Exceptions)
- You must avoid Carafate or Sucralfate 24 hours before test.
- CLEAR LIQUIDS Starting at Noon the day before the test
- PREP: The evening prior to swallowing pill camera, starting at 5:00 PM you will drink one full dose of Miralax every hour for a total of 4 doses.
- NOTHING TO EAT OR DRINK AFTER MIDNIGHT.
- If you are on diabetic medications please hold them until after you are able to eat. If you are on any heart or high blood pressure or seizure medication you may take then one hour before coming in with water only.
- Please wear comfortable clothes that day as you will not be able to change or remove the equipment (belt and recorder) during the test. You will need to return all equipment by 4:00pm the same day.
- You will be provided with further instructions regarding diet after swallowing capsule.
Clear Liquid Diet
This diet provides fluids that leave little residue and are easily absorbed with minimal digestive activity. The diet is inadequate in all essential nutrients and is recommended only if clear liquids are temporarily needed. *NO RED OR PURPLE LIQUIDS*
- Water, coffee and tea (no milk, no creamer or other dairy)
- Clear chicken or beef broth and consommé
- Apple juice and white grape juice
- Lemonade and limeade (no pulp)
- Sprite, 7-up and ginger ale
- Gatorade, Powerade and Kool-Aid (no red or purple coloring)
- Jell-O and ice popsicles (no red or purple coloring, no fruit or pulp, no dairy)
- Coconut water (no coconut milk)
NO SOLID FOODS: NO meats, NO vegetables, NO dairy, NO grains and starches.
NO JUICES WITH PULP: NO orange juice, NO vegetable juices, NO nectars, NO smoothies.